Pages

Saturday, August 16, 2014

My Last Goodbyes

Since I discovered my role as scapegoat, I have cried a river.  Tears of relief, tears of anger, and many tears of grief. 

These tears of grief feel like those that might come with a death following years of hoping and fighting for recovery from illness.  I guess the death here is the death of hope for a future filled with affirming and respectful relationships with my family, my mother in particular.  Article after article on scapegoating states that the dysfunctional family will “never see the scapegoat for who he or she is.”  Never ?  And no hope for things being different in those relationships?  Is it really that final?  But I want to be seen differently by my family and I want to have better relationships—I have prayed and tried for better relationships with them all my life.  How can it be over? 

My whole life I have been trying to figure out what I am doing wrong so that I can do it differently and get along better in my family.  Although I have had little, if any success, I have worked at it so hard. When I was seven, I made myself a chart to inspire me to be better.  It had boxes to check off for a day of not being selfish, a day of not fighting, a day of “not being bad.”  I thought I could keep myself in check with these little boxes and “be” better.  Alas, it didn’t work.

At age eleven, I decided that my mom calling me things like selfish and ugly and telling me that I acted like “the whole world revolved around me” was serving me well.  I began to feel thankful for her honesty.  She was making me a better person.  After all, how could I be less selfish if there was no one there to tell me how selfish I was in the first place!  I wanted to get along so badly that I was happy to submit to getting verbally (abused) whipped into shape.

My work toward self-improvement has become kinder, gentler, more empathetic and, I hope, a little more enlightened in my adult years, but I have kept at it with the belief that if I could change me, I could change my experience in my family.

Now I have this clarity . . . .  I see that there is a way I can change my experience.  First step:  give up my voice.  Second step: sacrifice values that are at the core of my being, such as kindness, truth, sensitivity, and respect of others.  Oh.

My watershed of understanding . . .  For the first time, I can see that this isn’t all about me—me being innately flawed and inherently bad; and for the first time, I see the bigger picture—a picture of a deeply broken family system that has been demanding and will continue to demand that everyone make sacrifices for the sake of its peaceful survival.  For some in my family, those sacrifices have become easy and normal.  Those family members must at least perceive the payoff as being greater than the cost.  I, on the other hand, have never succeeded at making these sacrifices, and it simply isn’t within me to do so.  I don’t think there could ever be a payoff great enough to inspire me to give up my values to keep the peace in a broken system.  Because I will not make these sacrifices, the system will forever blacksheep and scapegoat me.  I guess . . . I am okay with that.
                                                   
While I wish these tears of mine were tears of relief that I can move on, they simply are not.  These tears are the tears of a long battle coming to a painful end. 

It is finally time to say my goodbyes.  

Goodbye to the struggle.
Goodbye to the illusion that being “better” was the answer.
Goodbye to the hope for respectful and affirming relationships within my family of origin. 

It is finished. 

And, I know . . . it is just the beginning . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment